2.20.13 Another round of batch updates:
- I was interviewed for another Science@NASA article. This one is about Comet Pan-STARRS (C/2011 L4). It's also available as video and parts of it have been republished all over.
- Here are some fun photos from my ProjectASTRO class on making a comet. Thanks to Karen Watson for taking the photos and making the powerpoint.
- The Icarus special issue on Stardust/EPOXI is finally out, so these papers finally have references.
1.23.13 It's been busy so here are a few belated updates:
- I was interviewed for a story on Comet ISON(C/2012 S1) for Science@NASA. It's also available as video and has been republished around the world.
- I got quick set of images of 274P/Tombaugh-Tenagra so Lowell could remind people that Clyde Tombaugh did more than just discover Pluto!
- "Chandra ACIS-S imaging spectroscopy of anomalously faint X-ray emission from Comet 103P/Hartley 2 during the EPOXI encounter" by Lisse et al. is now in press.
- I wrote a short response to a reader's question in the December 2012 [subscription required to read the whole response] issue of Astronomy Magazine.
9.14.12 My paper "A Quarter-Century of Observations of Comet 10P/Tempel 2 at Lowell Observatory: Continued Spin-Down, Coma Morphology, Production Rates, and Numerical Modeling" has been accepted by AJ. Preprint is here.
6.7.12 My paper "The Highly Unusual Outgassing of Comet 103P/Hartley 2 from Narrowband Photometry and Imaging of the Coma" has been accepted by Icarus. Preprint is here.
2.17.12 My paper "The Highly Unusual Outgassing of Comet 103P/Hartley 2 from Narrowband Photometry and Imaging of the Coma" has been submitted to the Icarus EPOXI special issue. Also, "Observational and Dynamical Characterization of Main-Belt Comet P/2010 R2 (La Sagra)" by Hsieh et al. has been accepted by AJ.
1.19.12 Yet more sungrazing comets in the news! I was interviewed about a new paper on C/2011 N3 (SOHO) for Scientific American.
12.14.11 The most spectacular Kreutz comet of my lifetime was recently discovered (C/2011 W3 Lovejoy). I have been contributing some preliminary analysis to this excellent blog by Karl Battams (NRL).
9.29.11 I helped obtain some calibration data for Henry Hsieh's paper "Observational and Dynamical Characterization of Main-Belt Comet P/2010 R2 (La Sagra)" which now has been posted to astro-ph.
5.17.11 "EPOXI: Comet 103P/Hartley 2 Observations from a Worldwide Campaign" (Meech et al. 2011) has now been published online here.
5.4.11 "CN Morphology Studies of Comet 103P/Hartley 2" has now been published online here.
3.30.11 My paper "CN Morphology Studies of Comet 103P/Hartley 2" was accepted by the Astronomical Journal. Pre-print is available on [astro-ph].
1.24.11 Here is a good article about a recent "storm" of sungrazing comets in which I was interviewed. This got picked up by a lot of other websites too!
12.7.10 "The Increasing Rotation Period of Comet 10P/Tempel 2" has now been published online here.
11.11.10 Additional results from Hartley 2 as well as our results reported on 10.22.10 appeared on IAUC 9175 (subscription required).
10.22.10 New results for Comet 103P/Hartley 2: we determined the pole orientation and tentative location of the northern jet (assuming a principal axis rotation) and discovered a southern jet. This appears on CBET 2512 (subscription required) and will appear on an IAUC shortly.
9.16.10 My paper "The Increasing Rotation Period of Comet 10P/Tempel 2" (Knight, Farnham, Schleicher, and Schwieterman) was accepted by the Astronomical Journal. Pre-print is available on astro-ph.
7.20.10 My proposal "Studies of Sungrazing Comets Observed by SOHO and STEREO" was selected for funding by NASA PMDAP. [PDF of abstracts]
4.21.10 SOHO has recovered the periodic Marsden comet 1999 J6 = 2004 V9 = 2010 H3 (MPEC 2010-H37, CBET 2256, IAUC 9138 [passwords may be required]). I have made a page comparing the photometry on all three apparitions.
3.1.10 My article on Comet Lulin in the Lowell Observer is now available as a PDF.
1.6.10 My thesis paper was accepted by the Astronomical Journal. Preprint is here.
11.2.09 I helped obtain observations of Mercury in 2007 which are published here.
3.7.09 We determined the rotation period of Comet Lulin (C/2007 N3) is about 42 hours from 11 nights of imaging at Anderson Mesa. The IAUC is available here (subscription required). Email me if you'd like to see a movie.
12.11.08 Finally got around to moving the webpage from Maryland to
10.30.08 My thesis is now available as a PDF. Email me if you would like a hard copy. Here is my new email address:
1.20.08 I will be doing a postdoc at Lowell Observatory with Dave Schleicher.
Observations of 9P/Tempel 1 during Deep Impact paper is out in Icarus.
Cyanogen Jets and the Rotation State of Comet Machholz (C/2004 Q2) is out in the Astronomical Journal.