3.20.15 "A Further Investigation of Apparent Periodicities and the Rotational State of Comet 103P/Hartley 2 from Combined Coma Morphology and Lightcurve Datasets" by Knight et al. was submitted to AJ.
3.4.15 "Results from the Worldwide Coma Morphology Campaign for Comet ISON (C/2012 S1)" by Samarasinha et al. was submitted to Planetary and Space Sciences.
2.24.15 Our proposal for a Royal Society meeting on "Cometary science after Rosetta" was approved! The meeting will be held in London in June 2016.
1.13.15 I was interviewed for an article on C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy for NPR's Science Friday.
11.18.14 Gemini issued a press release featuring our observations of Rosetta's target comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.
10.6.14 "Observations of Comet ISON (C/2012 S1) from Lowell Observatory" by Knight and Schleicher has been accepted and is now on arXiv.
8.14.14 I wrote a short answer for "Ask ASTRO" in this month's Astronomy Magazine.
7.31.14 "Observations of Comet ISON (C/2012 S1) from Lowell Observatory" by Knight and Schleicher has been submitted to AJ.
7.15.14 Asteroid Matthewknight (25053) was named in my honor!
6.2.14 I am now in IMDB!
4.28.14 My ProjectASTRO partner teacher (Rennie Watson) and I were featured in an article in the current issue of ASP's Mercury magazine. You must be a member of the ASP to read the full article.
1.2.14 "Preliminary Analysis of SOHO/STEREO Observations of Sungrazing Comet ISON (C/2012 S1) Around Perihelion" by Knight and Battams has been submitted to ApJL.
12.12.13 It has been a busy last few weeks. Some highlights:
- I am featured in several TV programs about Comet ISON. Previews for Discovery Science and BBC are online. I'm still looking for links for the NHK (Japan) and Darlow Smithson (airing on either PBS or National Geographic) programs that also filmed me.
- I was interviewed for more news articles on Comet ISON than I could keep up with. A few highlights were Wall Street Journal, CBS, and BBC, and Sky and Telescope.
- My photometry of Comet ISON was published on CBET 3731
11.25.13 I'll be doing an Ask Me Anything on Reddit tomorrow (November 26) at 9:00 PM EST with a few colleagues. Check us out!
10.29.13 A podcast of my interview with "The Naked Scientists" is now available. I have also been blogging about Comet ISON at the CIOC website. My most recent post is featured as a guest blog by the Planetary Society.
10.1.13 My article "The Science of Comets" is the cover story in the November 2013 issue of Astronomy Magazine which is out on news stands today.
9.13.13 "Will Comet ISON (C/2012 S1) Survive Perihelion?" [arXiv] and "The Nucleus of Comet 10P/Tempel 2 in 2013 and Consequences Regarding Its Rotational State: Early Science from the Discovery Channel Telescope" [arXiv] have both been accepted for publication.
8.27.13 Several papers that have been in the pipeline have all been finished in the last couple of weeks:
- "Sunskirting Comets Discovered with the LASCO Coronagraphs Over the Decade 1996-2008" by Lamy et al. is now [in press]
- "Will Comet ISON (C/2012 S1) Survive Perihelion?" by Knight and Walsh has been submitted to ApJL
- "The Nucleus of Comet 10P/Tempel 2 in 2013 and Consequences Regarding Its Rotational State: Early Science from the Discovery Channel Telescope" by Schleicher, Knight, and Levine has been submitted to AJ
- "Hubble Space Telescope Pre-Perihelion ACS/WFC Imaging Polarimetry of Comet ISON (C/2012 S1) at 3.81 AU" by Hines et al. has been submitted to ApJL
8.7.13 ISON is keeping me happily busy. Here are a few highlights:
- I helped organize last week's Comet ISON Observer's Workshop. Videos of the talks are available and you can see me in several places :) The workshop got a lot of press coverage and generated really good discussion.
- I posted another blog entry and made some similar comments for this article.
- Preliminary results from our Spitzer observations of ISON are out. [press release] [CBET] (subscription required).
5.30.13 HST Cycle 21 notifications came out today and both of my ISON proposals were approved! These will greatly expand on the Cycle 20 DDT proposals we were awarded for imaging, spectroscopy, and polarization. Publications for the DDT programs are in prep now. Also, a talk I gave recently on Comet ISON is posted on NASA's website.
2.20.13 Another round of batch updates:
- I was interviewed for another Science@NASA article. This one is about Comet Pan-STARRS (C/2011 L4). It's also available as video and parts of it have been republished all over.
- Here are some fun photos from my ProjectASTRO class on making a comet. Thanks to Karen Watson for taking the photos and making the powerpoint.
- The Icarus special issue on Stardust/EPOXI is finally out, so these papers finally have references.
1.23.13 It's been busy so here are a few belated updates:
- I was interviewed for a story on Comet ISON(C/2012 S1) for Science@NASA. It's also available as video and has been republished around the world.
- I got quick set of images of 274P/Tombaugh-Tenagra so Lowell could remind people that Clyde Tombaugh did more than just discover Pluto!
- "Chandra ACIS-S imaging spectroscopy of anomalously faint X-ray emission from Comet 103P/Hartley 2 during the EPOXI encounter" by Lisse et al. is now in press.
- I wrote a short response to a reader's question in the December 2012 [subscription required to read the whole response] issue of Astronomy Magazine.
9.14.12 My paper "A Quarter-Century of Observations of Comet 10P/Tempel 2 at Lowell Observatory: Continued Spin-Down, Coma Morphology, Production Rates, and Numerical Modeling" has been accepted by AJ. Preprint is here.
6.7.12 My paper "The Highly Unusual Outgassing of Comet 103P/Hartley 2 from Narrowband Photometry and Imaging of the Coma" has been accepted by Icarus. Preprint is here.
2.17.12 My paper "The Highly Unusual Outgassing of Comet 103P/Hartley 2 from Narrowband Photometry and Imaging of the Coma" has been submitted to the Icarus EPOXI special issue. Also, "Observational and Dynamical Characterization of Main-Belt Comet P/2010 R2 (La Sagra)" by Hsieh et al. has been accepted by AJ.
1.19.12 Yet more sungrazing comets in the news! I was interviewed about a new paper on C/2011 N3 (SOHO) for Scientific American.
12.14.11 The most spectacular Kreutz comet of my lifetime was recently discovered (C/2011 W3 Lovejoy). I have been contributing some preliminary analysis to this excellent blog by Karl Battams (NRL).
9.29.11 I helped obtain some calibration data for Henry Hsieh's paper "Observational and Dynamical Characterization of Main-Belt Comet P/2010 R2 (La Sagra)" which now has been posted to astro-ph.
5.17.11 "EPOXI: Comet 103P/Hartley 2 Observations from a Worldwide Campaign" (Meech et al. 2011) has now been published online here.
5.4.11 "CN Morphology Studies of Comet 103P/Hartley 2" has now been published online here.
3.30.11 My paper "CN Morphology Studies of Comet 103P/Hartley 2" was accepted by the Astronomical Journal. Pre-print is available on [astro-ph].
1.24.11 Here is a good article about a recent "storm" of sungrazing comets in which I was interviewed. This got picked up by a lot of other websites too!
12.7.10 "The Increasing Rotation Period of Comet 10P/Tempel 2" has now been published online here.
11.11.10 Additional results from Hartley 2 as well as our results reported on 10.22.10 appeared on IAUC 9175 (subscription required).
10.22.10 New results for Comet 103P/Hartley 2: we determined the pole orientation and tentative location of the northern jet (assuming a principal axis rotation) and discovered a southern jet. This appears on CBET 2512 (subscription required) and will appear on an IAUC shortly.
9.16.10 My paper "The Increasing Rotation Period of Comet 10P/Tempel 2" (Knight, Farnham, Schleicher, and Schwieterman) was accepted by the Astronomical Journal. Pre-print is available on astro-ph.
7.20.10 My proposal "Studies of Sungrazing Comets Observed by SOHO and STEREO" was selected for funding by NASA PMDAP. [PDF of abstracts]
4.21.10 SOHO has recovered the periodic Marsden comet 1999 J6 = 2004 V9 = 2010 H3 (MPEC 2010-H37, CBET 2256, IAUC 9138 [passwords may be required]). I have made a page comparing the photometry on all three apparitions.
3.1.10 My article on Comet Lulin in the Lowell Observer is now available as a PDF.
1.6.10 My thesis paper was accepted by the Astronomical Journal. Preprint is here.
11.2.09 I helped obtain observations of Mercury in 2007 which are published here.
3.7.09 We determined the rotation period of Comet Lulin (C/2007 N3) is about 42 hours from 11 nights of imaging at Anderson Mesa. The IAUC is available here (subscription required). Email me if you'd like to see a movie.
12.11.08 Finally got around to moving the webpage from Maryland to
10.30.08 My thesis is now available as a PDF. Email me if you would like a hard copy. Here is my new email address:
1.20.08 I will be doing a postdoc at Lowell Observatory with Dave Schleicher.
Observations of 9P/Tempel 1 during Deep Impact paper is out in Icarus.
Cyanogen Jets and the Rotation State of Comet Machholz (C/2004 Q2) is out in the Astronomical Journal.